Philosophy of Generosity at Vibrant
1) Generosity is for EVERYONE. Not a single one of us is done growing in how God calls us to give. Our discipleship in generosity should be approached in the same way as the discipleship of the rest of our faith, and that means it is a process of growing more and more like Christ in who we are and how we give.
2) Jesus gets our first and our best. (Matthew 6:21) Because Jesus is first in our lives, He gets the first in our finances. We give in light of the truth that all things are by Jesus, to Jesus, through Jesus, and for Jesus. (Colossians 1:15-20) Practically speaking, this means our giving drives our spending and saving priorities, not the other way around. We seek to give like Abel, not like Cain. (Genesis 4:2b-5)
3) We give with eternity in mind. (1 Timothy 6:6-19) We live our lives in such a way that we invest in the things of heaven more than the things of earth. Our hope rests in Jesus alone and not in our “stuff.”
4) We believe you can’t out-give God. (2 Corinthians 9:6-15) (John 3:16) We are not merely satisfied with giving a certain percentage and “living on the rest.” Rather, we believe God owns everything and we are to honor Him with 100% of what He has given us.
5) We don’t give because we HAVE to. We give because we GET to. (2 Corinthians 9:6-9) Generosity is our privilege, and we give out of joy – not out of obligation. While we hold tithing as a biblical guidepost to guide us in our giving journey, we believe it is not a fulcrum of our giving and should not limit our generosity. We give with joy and out of a heart growing closer to Christ, and our generosity should ever more reflect that.